Thursday, November 27, 2003

Things I'm Thankful For

It's Thanksgiving, and I'm home alone with my cat. I could have gone to Chicago and hung with my sister and brother in law. I could have gone to about half a dozen friends' houses.
I didn't, though. Why? Because I really felt the need to just relax and enjoy and think about what I'm thankful for today.
Besides, I got to watch the Macy's Parade with the sound off and listen to the Flaming Lips...which just fucking rocks. For some reason, their music is just the perfect accompaniment to the Macy's parade.

I'm thankful for many things this year. Last year was kind of rough, and this year has more than made up for it.

I'm most thankful for my friends. I've met many wonderful new people this year.
My friend Sherri deserves special mention because she helped introduce me to many of the people I've gotten to know online. She took it upon herself to reach out and befriend me. She helped teach me mIRC. We cause trouble together. She's a helluva lady and I love her lots.
James in CT is another person I've met online. The moment we started corresponding, we both just KNEW we'd be friends. We're dangerous together. I shudder to think what would happen if we truly put our heads together.
Ava in CA is another new friend. She's full of life and joy, and her enthusiasm for anything is just so damn infectious you can't help but feel it to. She's wonderful and kind and puts up with so much nonsense from me, I'll have to nominate her for sainthood.
Jennah in GA is another person I met via IRC. She's a hockey fan (I'm in her fantasy hockey league...and beating her ass [for now]), so we have that going for us, but she's also got great taste in music and movies.
I don't even know his real name, but Nordling from AICN is another person I've gotten to know pretty well. He was sure he'd hate me, and pleasantly surprised to find out he couldn't. I can respect any man who can overcome preconceptions. Besides, his favorite movie is The Seven Samurai. How can you not love that?
Of course, there's always a token foreigner, and Dan in the UK constantly surprises me with new wrinkles on his character. He's simply hilarious, and he's a hell of a nice guy to boot. He's quite the artist as well...someday that boy might be famous or something...
Morgan and Danny over at the Malibu Cafe have turned out to be friends. My coworkers and I started going over to the bar because it was new and they had great drink specials. Now, I can just go over there and sit and watch TV with them. I'm just plain welcome, all around. Can't forget Amanda the night bartender, either. We've sat around and talked while customers never showed up too many times...
Speaking of bars...Jocelyn over at Pockets deserves mention. She hadn't seen us for almost 3 months since we started going over to the Malibu, so she called up my work to yell at us. When I answered, she couldn't muster up the anger to yell at me, and just asked me to come over. Then, she tore the shit out of my coworker Byron. Gotta love a gal that loves you.
I'm just as thankful for my old friends. The whole Kent/Warren Crew: Italian Joe and Renee, Donnie and Jenn, Stoner, Griffin, John and Bonnie. Love 'em to death, and I'm a proud participant in all the craziness that is their lives. I wait with baited breath for Bonnie to give birth so that John can raise another Republican to fight against the tyrannical liberals that are his friends. Of course, the rest of us will be there to make sure the child learns THE TRUTH. Hehehe
I'm grateful for my coworkers and friends in Columbus. DDP, Kaveman, Greg the Keg, Byron, Higgins, Nate, Jake, Brian from UPN 53, Brad, Shane, Scott...all of 'em. They bring light to the bleakness that is Central Ohio. The staff of the Arena Grand has taken it upon themselves to adopt me as a member of the family, as has the owners and staff of Thai Taste and the Sher E Punjab restaurant. People like them make me appreciate that I live in a city with a big heart and a lot of great people.
I am thankful for my family. I enjoy my sister and her husband. I love my nephew to death. Watching Henry grow up just fills me with joy. He's such a good kid, I can't believe he's related to me.
I am thankful for my brother, because he's the only person on the planet who can crack me up 24 hours a day, seven days a week AND drink me under the table without breaking a sweat. I'm going to visit him in Vegas this coming year. I must. And when I do...evacuate. You have been warned.
I'm thankful for my cat. Bela might be infuriating as hell sometimes, but he also loves me lots. He's particularly happy with me when I sleep on the couch and he can curl up in the crook of my legs.
I'm thankful for other things, but they don't seem important after family and friends.