Sunday, November 30, 2003

New Mutants (vol 2) #6

Writers: Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir
Art: Mark A. Robinson
published by Marvel Comics

Back in the 80s, I loved The New Mutants. The book, especially during Bill Seinkowicz's run on the art chores, just kicked all kinds of ass. I still have a wall hanging of The New Mutants in my apartment.
So, it wasn't any surprise that I started buying the new book when it started up earlier this year. Sure, it's been a bit of a slow burner, but I think it's finally hitting its stride. This issue centers mainly around Dani Moonstar's guilt at preventing one of the new studenst from killing an anti-mutant terrorist. He leaves the school, reasoning that he might hurt someone else, and she takes it hard. In addition, they add yet another new character to the class, in the form of a newly emerged mutant who used to belong to the very same anti-mutant hate group.
I like the art...kinda chunky like Mignola, and sort of elongated and over rounded like a Don Bluth animated character. I'm not sure what else Robinson is done, but I think I'd be interested in checking it out.