Thursday, December 30, 2004

Resident Evil: Apocalypse -- Commentary Review

You have your choice of three commentaries on this film. I'm choosing to review the actor's commentary because as far as I'm concerned the directing and writing on this film are a ginormous how-not-to. Of course, since I bought this DVD of my own violition after watching the first one you know my standards are pretty damn low.

The actor's commentary features Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, and Oded Fehr. They banter a bit, and discuss working conditions on the Resident Evil set. Milla Jovovich brings up one interesting bit of trivia: Jared Harris who plays Dr. Ashford in the film also stared with Milla in a little known film called Dummy.

I can't say enough positive things about the film Dummy. I loved the low key character study. The performances were top notch, including Milla's, which was inspired, the writing was excellent, and not even once was I confused about what was going on.

None of which I can say about this film.

Overall, Milla and Oded keep their commentary at the tone warranted by the film, while Sienna seems to be convinced she's actually providing commentary on Schindler's List.

This commentary is a good time. In fact is seems more well thought and executed than the film itself.

No comments: